Saturday, August 22, 2026 -Two personnel of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, Amotekun Corps, were k!lled when suspected criminal elements ambushed them in Akure North Local Government Area of the state.
According to Nigerian Tribune, the incident occurred as the
officers were coming out of their base in the Ago-Oyinbo farming area, around
Ala-Daadaa, where they were reportedly carrying out their security
duties.
The assailants reportedly launched a surprise attack on the
officers, leading to a fierce exchange of gunfire between both sides.
Despite the resistance put up by the security personnel, two
Amotekun officers identified as Oniyide Raifi aka Soldier and Adebusuyi Kayode,
aka Omega, were fatally wounded in the attack, while another officer sustained
injuries.
Following the attack, the Amotekun Corps immediately
mobilised reinforcements to the area in an effort to track down the assailants
and prevent them from escaping.
The Corps also intensified patrols and intelligence
gathering within and around the affected communities, with a view to
identifying the perpetrators and preventing a recurrence of the incident.
The Public Relations Officer of Ondo Amotekun, Jimoh
Adeniken, who confirmed the incident said the officers came under sudden attack
by assailants, leading to a fierce exchange of gunfire.
He, however, confirmed that two officers lost their lives in
the attack, while another sustained fatal injuries, saying only three
casualties were earlier recorded.
He said reinforcements were immediately deployed to the area
to track down the perpetrators and bring them to justice.
It added that security operations, patrols and intelligence
gathering had been intensified within the affected communities to prevent
further attacks and reassure residents of the safety of their lives and
property.
The Amotekun spokesperson said the Ondo State Governor, the
Corps Commander and the management of Amotekun commiserated with the families,
colleagues and loved ones of the fallen officers, describing them as gallant
personnel who paid the supreme price in the service of the state.
The Corps urged residents to remain calm and vigilant and
provide security agencies with credible information that could assist in
identifying and apprehending those responsible for the attack.
The PRO of the command said the incident would not deter the
Corps from carrying out its constitutional responsibilities, stressing that it
remained committed to protecting lives and property across the state.
The statement further said the Corps was working with other
security agencies to track down the perpetrators and ensure that they were
brought to justice.
Meanwhile, the families of the fallen officers appreciated
the Ondo State Government, the Corps Commander and the management of Amotekun
for making arrangements for the befitting burial of their deceased relatives.
While mourning their loved ones, the families appealed to
the state government to remember the dependants of the fallen officers in
future recruitment exercises into the Amotekun Corps.
They also called for welfare support and other benefits for
the families to cushion the impact of losing their breadwinners.
The families said such measures would not only support the
dependants but also demonstrate the government’s appreciation of the sacrifice
made by officers who lost their lives in the service of the state.
The Amotekun command reiterated its commitment to tracking
down the perpetrators and strengthening security operations in the
affected.

0 Comments